It's been proven. Now, in addition to Liberal Party analysis of stimulus money distribution, the Globe and Mail and the CBC have each done some analysis of their own which supports the Liberal Party's claims. Seems all that bluster on the part of the Prime Minister about Toronto receiving so much stimulus was inane.
In the Globe and Mail's analysis of the Recreational Infrastructure in Canada program, it found that Tory ridings received $2.1 million on average, compared with $1.5 million for opposition ridings. If the numbers for these opposition ridings are broken down further, it emerges in clear fashion that the Conservatives are discriminating against the Liberals for the NDP on average receives $1.8 million, and the Liberals only $1.4 million.
An argument has been made by Ontario provincial minister George Smitherman that this is due to Conservative ridings being more rural, and thus having more municipalities, and more recreation facilities. In addition, he indicates that this analysis only reveals a pattern of partisan allocation of funding because of the narrow focus of the analysis.
However, the CBC analysed a separate stimulus program, the Infrastructure Stimulus Fund, yielding similar results. Of all the government funding in this program, 60 per cent has gone to Conservative ridings, while 40 per cent has gone to opposition ridings. This contradicts the PM's claims earlier this week that opposition ridings received approximately 50 percent of funding.
The argument that the rural proclivity of Conservative ridings skews the analysis may yet hold, but for this fact. Ralph Goodale's riding in rural Saskatchewan only received $4.8 million, compared to the Tory riding adjacent that received $6.5 million. This shows that even in rural areas, there is a deliberate decision to award more money to Conservative constituencies.
All this goes to show that once again, the PM's facts are fiction, compounding the scandal. Thank goodness for an inquisitive media.
Recommend this Post at Progressive Bloggers
If you liked this post, please vote for my blog at Canadian Blogosphere
Friday, October 23, 2009
- The Ridiculous Tory Defence on Partisan Advertisin...
- Conservatives Render Question Period a Disgrace
- Canada's Changing Under our Noses
- Conservatives Rewarding Conservative voters, CBC a...
- Defending the Indefensible, a Conservative Passtim...
- Conservatives Silence Deafening on Partisan Cheque...
- Doorknobs are Stimulus: Parliamentary Toilet Paper...
- Conservatives Attempting to Equate Ignatieff's Env...
- Remember the promise of Accountable Government?
- The Liberals Back on Course
- Why the Conservatives are wrong on the HST
- The Magical Disappearance of the Deficit
- Come Up With Some Policy
- Another Conservative Turn-Around?
- Get Ignatieff to do a Troika
- Harper has Company in Club of Canadian Leaders Flo...
- How COULD Anyone Have Confidence in this Governmen...
- ▼ October (17)