Monday, October 5, 2009
The Conservatives have announced that Ottawa is going to waive gun registry fees. "Documents obtained by CBC News under access to information show the federal government's decision to waive fees for people licensing their firearms will cost more than $15 million this year alone. Should the fee waiver be extended for another three years, internal forecasts predict an additional $60 million in "projected lost revenue."
Contrast that value of $60 million with the $30 million that they were envisaging on saving in December with the elimination of federal subsidies for the parties. It's double. At the time, the Conservatives were adamant that the subsidies were a case of fiscal mismanagement. They needed to be eliminated in a time of economic frailty, as they were a case of unnecessary spending.
Now they're engaging in unnecessary and unwise cuts that fly right in the face of principles advocated in December last year. Seems that it's more the politics that are important.
Cutting the funding to political parties was popular with Harper's base. Scraping the gun registry, or making it ineffective, is another policy popular with it.
Clearly, Stephen Harper is using the finances of the nation for his own political gains, again, instead of for good policy. Recommend this Post at Progressive Bloggers If you liked this post, please vote for my blog at Canadian Blogosphere
Posted by YL at 10:38 PM
- The Ridiculous Tory Defence on Partisan Advertisin...
- Conservatives Render Question Period a Disgrace
- Canada's Changing Under our Noses
- Conservatives Rewarding Conservative voters, CBC a...
- Defending the Indefensible, a Conservative Passtim...
- Conservatives Silence Deafening on Partisan Cheque...
- Doorknobs are Stimulus: Parliamentary Toilet Paper...
- Conservatives Attempting to Equate Ignatieff's Env...
- Remember the promise of Accountable Government?
- The Liberals Back on Course
- Why the Conservatives are wrong on the HST
- The Magical Disappearance of the Deficit
- Come Up With Some Policy
- Another Conservative Turn-Around?
- Get Ignatieff to do a Troika
- Harper has Company in Club of Canadian Leaders Flo...
- How COULD Anyone Have Confidence in this Governmen...
- ▼ October (17)