When the bill to abolish the long gun registry was last put to a vote in the House of Commons, 8 Liberal MPs supported it. To avoid such an outcome on the upcoming decisive vote, Michael Ignatieff has whipped his MPs into opposing the bill. Ignatieff has understood that the registry is an important tool for police in their fight against crime. He also knows that the registry makes society safer.
Jack Layton probably knows these things, too. However, as of yet he is unwilling to whip his MPs on this issue, citing his principle of letting MPs vote their conscience on private member's bills. This is an admirable democratic principle. Yet, with the safety of citizens' at stake, Jack Layton should take a firmer stand. He should stand up for what is right. He should whip his MPs to oppose this dangerous bill.
Recommend this Post at Progressive Bloggers
If you liked this post, please vote for my blog at Canadian Blogosphere
Saturday, August 28, 2010
- Why we Might not Need F-35s
- Has Candice Hoeppner Even Read the RCMP on the Lon...
- Jack Layton Should Whip his MPs on Long-Gun Regist...
- Liberal Census Bill Shows Fundamental Difference B...
- Conservatives Making Shameful Use of Shock Politic...
- What Tories are Missing in the Patronage Revelatio...
- Harper's Conservatives = Soft on Crime
- Conservative Party Workers Fraudulently Posing as ...
- Cheliak bilingual a year ago, but not any longer?
- Let's Make the Census Crisis as Big as Prorogation...
- Clement's version of robust and reliable data
- Tony Clement shows very worrying incompetence
- ▼ August (12)